Virtual Earth Inside final year project
Virtual Earth inside is a web application built upon the Virtual Earth Platform, that allows one to zoom right into a building and navigate through its interior plans and photos, giving one a sort of virtual tour of the “inside”.
- Virtual Earth Inside has brought us from viewing graphical maps to actual satellite images, where one can zoom in and even see their building tops. We now want to take you inside the buildings.
- Virtual Earth Inside provides a way to view & publish the interiors of a property on the web, leveraging the VE platform.
- Thus, people and business owners can share the interiors of their houses / restaurants / hotels / schools etc with the rest of the world over the internet.
- It provides a new immersive user experience where people can explore the interiors of places of interest.
- It brings a new aspect to Photo Viewing – tying it with GeoLocation & Point of View on a map.
- It brings to Mapping the concept of exploring interiors/overlays along with zoomable Photos.
- Key to the success would be an extremely easy to use UI, enabling an average non tech person to publish his interior plan annotated with Photos within 10 mins or so.
Virtual Earth Inside would consist of a Central Portal where a visitor can search for all the registered & published properties. The visitor can choose any property & explore it from “inside”.
Visitors can register with us if they want to publish their Property on the site. Registered users (contributors) can locate their property on VE and register it with us.
- They can then use MapCruncher to “crunch” their interior plans.
- They can then Add “ViewPoints” and upload the corresponding photos.
- They can also Edit/Delete the ViewPoints.
- The property can be marked as public or private.
- Virtual Earth APIs
- ASP.NET 2.0
- Visual Studio 2005
Software and Hardware Requirements
- OS WindowsXP
- Microsoft .NET 2.0 Runtime
- The WebApp is implemented in ASP.NET 2.0 with c# and SQL Server 2005 in the back end.
- AJAX is used to retrieve the photos and tiles from the storage server.
- Amazon S3 Server is used as the storage server.